Freebie Barn Summer Hours
The Freebie Barn at the KRRF will be CLOSED for the month of July. It will be open during regular hours in June and August pending volunteer availibility.
About the Freebie Barn
The Freebie Barn, located at the Kittery Resource Recovery Facility, has been a valuable asset to the Town of Kittery and sorely missed by our community since its temporary closure due to COVID-19.
The goal of the Freebie Barn is to reduce the number of items being sent into the waste stream, instead of simply delaying them and offering residents options to reuse or repurpose items that still have useful life. The Town of Kittery is excited to announce the reopening of the Freebie Barn in January 2023, with some new and exciting improvements.
To reintroduce the Freebie Barn program, the Town has been working with its Climate Adaptation Committee and Kittery Climate Action Now (KCAN) to make a variety of changes that will allow us to focus the types of items that are collected, assist residents with recycling and reutilization of common and urgently needed items, and reduce the number of items that linger at the Freebie Barn and ultimately end up in the waste stream. In addition to changes in operating hours, the Freebie Barn will be partnering with a variety of community organizations throughout the year to find new ways to recycle items that have not been repurposed by residents at the end of each month.
Freebie Barn Schedule
- Freebie Barn: Wednesdays at the KRRF, 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM.
- Items within the given theme each month may be dropped off and/or claimed during Freebie Barn hours.
- Any items not claimed at the end of each month will be brought to a final community swap at the Kittery Community Center. The public is welcome to come to the Community Swap and search for treasures to be reused or repurposed.
- Community Swap: last Sunday of the month at the KCC, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Additional items may be dropped off at the KCC on the day of the Community Swap, from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
- Items not claimed by the end of the Community Swap will be transferred to our recycling partners.
Please note: the Freebie Barn’s open hours will be dependent upon volunteer availability.
Volunteer at the Freebie Barn
The Town of Kittery is currently seeking green-minded volunteers to help run the Freebie Barn program.
If you’re interested in volunteering to help run the new Freebie Barn program, please click here.