The Parks Commission provides ongoing citizen recommendations relating to the improvement or development of Town-owned property that is or is likely to be developed into Town parks to ensure the preservation, beauty and protection of these most valuable sites. The Commission consists of 7 members who have demonstrated an interest in Town parks and facilities. Members are appointed for terms of 3 years each.
The Commission may recommend to the municipal officers that up to 2 associate members be appointed to assist the Commission, as they require. Associate members are non-voting members except when a quorum is absent. Their terms of office are to be for 1, 2 or 3 years.
The Parks Commission meets on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 5:30pm in Conference Room A, at Town Hall.
The Commission is responsible for:
- Recommending to the Town Council an overall park management plan for the identification, protection, development or use of park lands and facilities.
- Meeting with the Town Manager to review and advise, at least twice a year, on the status and progress of the park management plan and other pertinent issues.
- Coordinating its activities with those of the park, recreation, school and conservation bodies organized for similar purposes.
- Keeping records of Commission activities, post agendas and minutes of meetings.
- Assuring that any recommended changes affecting municipal park properties are made in conjunction with the Conservation Commission.
The Commission may:
- Make recommendations for use of the parks and park facilities to the Town Manager.
- Prepare and print books, maps and plans as it deems necessary.
- With the approval of the majority of the Town Council, apply for grants or receive gifts in the municipality's name for any of the Commission's purposes and administer these grants or gifts for those stated purposes, as specified by the terms of the grant or gift consistent with all appropriate state statues.
- Make recommendations to the Town Council for revisions to the park fee policy and rate schedules.