Are you looking for ways to make a positive impact? Does the idea of using your skills, and finding creative ways to help the town and people of Kittery, excite you? If you answered YES, then we would love for you to get involved with one of our Town Boards or Committees.
The following Kittery Town Boards and Committees are currently seeking members and alternates:
Board of Appeals
The Board of Appeals is to perform duties as provided by law. The Board of Appeals is to hear and decide on the following matters:
- Administrative Decision Appeal: Hear and decide on an administrative decision appeal where it is alleged by an aggrieved party that there is an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by the Code Enforcement Officer in review of an action on a permit application under this Code.
- Variance Request: Hear and decide on a variance request within the limitations set forth in this Code and 30-A M.R.S. §4353(4).
- Miscellaneous Variation Request: To hear and decide on a miscellaneous variation request to permit variation in:
- Nonconformance as prescribed in Article III of Chapter 16.7;
- Standards contained in Article IX of Chapter 16.8, Parking, Loading and Traffic or Section 184.108.40.206 Sign Violation and Appeal; or
- Accessory dwelling unit standards per Article XXV of Chapter 16.8.
- Special Exception Use Request: Hear and decide on a special exception use request not requiring Planning Board review per development and site review thresholds and using the Development Application and Review (Chapter 16.10) procedures and review criteria and other provisions in this Code.
For more information on the Board of Appeals, click here
Board of Assessment Review
Do you have an interest in real estate or property tax assessment? If so, you would be a great candidate for the Board of Assessment Review!
- The Board of Assessment Review (BAR) reviews taxpayer appeals to the tax assessor’s decision of abatement for personal or real property tax assessments within Town limits. The BAR may annually review appeals dependent on the number of and filing time of taxpayer appeals.
- Interest in real estate, property tax law or property tax assessment is helpful, although previous real estate experience is not required. In order to be qualified for the board, residents must not serve is any other local government body.
- Workshops are available annually in the Spring through the Main Municipal Association and Maine Town, City and County Management Association for those interested. For more information on 2017's workshop, click here. 2018 information will be available as soon as it's released.
For more information on the Board of Assessment Review, click here.
Shellfish Conservation Committee
The Shellfish Conservation Committee meets on an as needed basis and is responsible for a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Establishing the number of shellfish digging licenses to be issued annually, survey clam producing areas.
- Securing and maintaining records of shellfish harvest from town managed areas.
- Recommending conservation closures and openings to the town council, in conjunction with area biologists.
For more information on the Shellfish Conservation Committee, click here.
To apply for a Town Board or Committe